Gluten-Free Blondie Bar Recipe from Leamhain Ice-Cream
This is one baking recipe you have to try! Our Producer of the month for August, Leamhain Ice-Cream, has kindly shared their delicious gluten-free baking recipe – fluffy blondie bars for you to make at home. This is the perfect accompaniment for your favourite Leamhain ice-cream flavour or to simply enjoy on its own.
Vegetable margarine (We use flora unsalted block) – 75g
Coconut Oil – 75g
Aquafaba* – 125g
White Sugar – 35g
Light Brown Sugar – 125g
Gluten Free Flour (We use Doves) – 175g
Baking Soda – 1/2 Tsp
*Aquafaba is the water found in a can of legumes, preferably chickpeas. When whipped, creates a cloud texture, similar to meringue and can be used in vegan baking similar to whipped egg whites in order to create light, fluffy cakes.
1. Weigh up your gluten free flour mix and baking soda in one bowl, then the remaining ingredients in separate bowls.
2. Preheat your oven to 160c degrees.
3. In a clean bowl, using the whisk attachment, place your aquafaba liquid into stand mixer bowl and set on medium speed for 3-5 minutes until the liquid creates soft peaks. The aim is to create a stiff peaked meringue.
4. Once soft peaks has been achieved, place your white sugar into the mixing bowl and whisk for another 2 minutes until your peaks become stiff and glossy.
5. Taking a small pot over low-medium heat, melt together the coconut oil and margarine. Once melted, add in your light brown sugar and stir until everything is fully incorporated.
6. Allow this mix to cool slightly before the next step. If added straight away, the heat of the sugar will collapse your stiff peaked meringue.
7. Take your whipped meringue and gently fold in your slightly cooled light brown sugar mix.
8. Once incorporated, add in your gluten free flour and baking soda mix and begin to gently fold the batter until everything is well hydrated.
9. In a 12’ cake tin, line with parchment and pour in your mix evenly.
10. Bake for 30 minutes until light golden brown.
11. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before removing from tin.
12. Slice your fluffy blondie cake into 8 portions, serve with warm chocolate sauce and a scoop of Leamhain ice cream!