Con Traas’ family has been growing apples on his 60 acre farm near Cahir in County Tipperary since 1968. Apples have been growing in this area for hundreds of years. When Con took over the orchard from his parents, he planted and grew it to increase supply, so much so that it now produces over 5 million apples a year!
Sixty different varieties of apples are grown on the farm. Harvest begins in August and runs through until the end of the year. Unusual varieties include the Alkmene, Topaz and Michelle my Belle apples! The apples are used in bakeries and sold in farm shops around the country.
A Christmas Cocktail
Each Christmas, we enlist Con to make a delicious Mulled Apple Punch for our customers. This warming mulled juice is made slowly from apple juice, cinnamon, cloves and some other secret ingredients! We highly recommend serving this warm. While the juice itself does not contain alcohol, why not try it in this delicious cocktail for the adults? Not only is this simple to make and tastes great, it will make your whole house smell fabulously festive! As a non-alcoholic Christmas punch, it’s suitable for everyone!
The Butler’s Pantry Winter Warmer
750ml Mulled Apple Punch
400ml Dark Rum (our favourite is Havana Club 7 Year Old)
Granulated Brown Sugar
Apple Slices, rosemary for garnish
- Prepare two saucers, one with a little of the mulled apple punch and one with granulated brown sugar mixed with a touch of cinnamon. Dip the rim of the glass into the mulled apple punch and then into the sugar mix to make it stick.
- Peel the lemon using a vegetable peeler.
- Gently heat the mulled apple punch on the hob. Add a couple of cinnamon sticks, lemon peel and a dash of vanilla extract.
- Pour in the rum and stir gently. Don’t allow to boil as you don’t want to burn off the alcohol.
- Add a squeeze of lemon, ladle into glasses and serve with a slice of apple and sprig of rosemary for decoration!
Remember to use a thick glass that can withstand heat and a handle so your guests don’t burn their hands! Always drink responsibly.
Call into one of our stores to find out more!