Brown Wholemeal Bread
- Skill: Moderate
I love to eat this brown bread with a little butter, a slice of organic Glenarm smoked salmon and a squeeze of lemon juice. It’s a luxurious yet simple lunch that I’d be happy to have any day of the week. You can add some pumpkin and sunflower seeds into the mixture for extra crunch. If you’d prefer to make scones rather than a loaf with the dough, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 3cm and, using a 5cm cutter, cut out rounds of dough. Bake on parchment for 15–20 minutes. This quantity of dough will make 12–14 scones.
- Preheat oven to 170c (150c fan)/325f/gas mark 3.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Mix the egg and buttermilk together and add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix by hand with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin with butter and dust with flour. Pour the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface with a wet spoon. Bake for 1 hour.
- Test the bread to see if it is cooked by putting a skewer or small knife and see if it comes out dry and clean.
- Remove from the tin and put back into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and let it cool on a cooling rack.